Social Work Education
I am a senior lecturer in social work at London Metropolitan University and an external PhD supervisor at Royal Holloway University.
Examples of recent work:
- Researchmindedness for Practice (Module leader, research and dissertation modules), 3rd year BSc and 2nd year MSc, London Metropolitan University
- Social and Critical Pedagogy – International Perspectives, 3rd year BA students, Coventry University
- Safeguarding Children and Adults (Module Leader), second year BSc students, London Metropolitan University
- Evidence Informed Practice Module: Sessions on Children & Families Social Work – Learning from Serious Case Reviews and Evidence from Research, Coventry University
- Effective Practice (Module Leader), final year MSc and BSc students, London Metropolitan University
- Communication, Skills and Values (Module Leader), 1st year MSc students, London Metropolitan University
- Introduction to Social Pedagogy, 3rd year BA Social Work students, Coventry University
- Study Skills, 1st year MSc Social Work students, Royal Holloway University
- Research Methods and Dissertation, MSc Advanced Practice, Royal Holloway University
- Writing for Publication, offered to students post-dissertation to publish their dissertation, Royal Holloway University
- Bsc and MSc Social Work students during their dissertation, London Metropolitan University
- MA Social Work students during their dissertation, Coventry University
- MSc Social Work students during their dissertation, Royal Holloway University
- MSc Advanced Practice Students during their dissertation, Royal Holloway University
- PhD students, Royal Holloway University
- Tutor for 1st year BA social work students, Coventry University
Katrin was a great supervisor. She really understood my interest and guided me through the thought process to refine it to a research question. She was extremely supportive through the process, but also challenging in a balanced way. She really pushed me to make sure that I did as well as I could. I would thoroughly recommend her as a supervisor.
– James Guy, MSc social work
Katrin was my supervisor for my dissertation, which I completed in July 2019. I found Katrin to be extremely knowledgeable, supportive and encouraging, and I credit her support in helping me to achieve a high grade. She was flexible with how and when we had our supervision sessions, and she was always available by email to answer any questions that I had. Katrin took a real interest in my research, and the scope of her advice went beyond just the content of my dissertation; she also took the time to talk to me about my wellbeing, career progression and training.
– Ratha Lehall, MSc social work
After completing my dissertation I had been encouraged to write up the findings for publication but did not know where to start. I attended a series of workshops offered by Katrin in order to understand how to write up my dissertation for publication, how to target journals and how to craft an abstract bearing in mind the audience. Katrin brought her experience and excellent mentoring skills to support me with my first publication in a high impact journal.